1994 was a great year for music. So many good albums were released that year.
With the reissue of Oasis’s debut album, Definitely Maybe just out and I wrote about their Belfast live debut in a most recent blog, I was reading online think it may have been 6Music who were going back in time to that year. This got me wondering what would be in your all time list for 1994.
Hard to believe it is 25 years and for a lot of these albums that I am going to list here there are quite a few favourites that I still listen to now.
So what makes a great list? Well, to make it hard I could have went for a top ten but it felt unfair that quite a few albums not going to make the cut. Who gets in? Who gets left out?
I felt maybe the best way would be to cap it at 25. 25 albums released 25 years ago in 1994. Perfect thus creating the title of this “25 albums for 1994”.
Looking back on this list it is quite a blend of the last years of grunge, the beginnings of Britpop and anything else that you might want it to be.
So without further ado here is my top 25 albums for 1994.
- Nirvana – MTV Unplugged in New York
- Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible
- Pearl Jam – Vitalogy
- Alice in Chains – Jar of Flies
- Soundgarden – Superunknown
- Jeff Buckley – Grace
- Oasis – Definitely Maybe
- REM – Monster
- Therapy? – Troublegum
- Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
- Sugar – File Under: Easy Listening
- Weezer – Weezer (aka The Blue Album)
- Helmet – Betty
- Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
- Beck – Mellow Gold
- Smashing Pumpkins – Pisces Iscariot
- Beastie Boys – III Communciation
- Suede – Dog Man Star
- Green Day – Dookie
- Primal Scream – Give Out But Don’t Give Up
- Echobelly – Everyone’s Got One
- Sunny Day Real Estate – Diary
- Senser – Stacked Up
- Live – Throwing Copper
- Bush – Sixteen Stone
Hope you enjoyed reading. Maybe some of your favourites are amongst here. Feel free to add to the above you might have liked around that time too.